Saturday, September 10, 2011

First Day of School





Maurice and I took Bear-Handbanana and Junior to the dog park on Friday. Luckily Maurice didn't have to work because it took Junior 4 hours to get comfortable enough to play with anyone. The dog park is split into 2 play areas, a space for dogs under 25lbs and a larger space for dogs over 25lbs. Initially, we had both dogs in the small dog space because there weren't any other dogs on that side.






We wanted to give him an opportunity to get used to the smells and sounds of the dog park in general. Once we realized he was not going to give Bear-Handbanana a moments rest, it was time to move him to the big dog side. Maurice called the transition "College Freshman Syndrome". Junior went from being the big fish in a small pond to a small fish in a much bigger pond with fish bigger than he had ever seen.

Maurice stayed with Bear most of the afternoon, although Bear would have given his pointy ear to come over to the big dog side. At one point, he had begun to climb the fence. He was nearly 8 inches off the ground before we realized. [side note: This is most likely how Bear has been getting out of the yard. I know he knows how to climb a baby gate, but he only does it when it is blocking the bedroom door. I definitely have to get the underground fence. That way he cannot get to the end of the driveway.] I think I will let him come over and meet Sumo when we go back on Monday.

I'm not gonna lie, I almost gave up on Junior's ability to get in there and make nice with the other dogs. By the three hour mark I had grown weary of him standing behind my legs, too scared to pee. Had I not gotten carried away in conversation with the other dog parents we would have packed it up and left
long before 4 hours. Luckily he found Molly, a springer spaniel. Maurice actually
remembers when she was on the small dog side, playing with Bear and Scooter. She is the sweetest little girl and even though she had about 20lbs on Junior, she was uber gentle. I was so surprised he started playing I nearly forget to get the camera out.







Junior also made friends with Dixie, and 10 month old black lab/ English Mastiff mix. She is expected to grow to 150lbs.


Other dog related news:
1. You never learn people names at the dog park. You could run into a park regular at Target and chat for hours about nothing and still not realize where you know them from... until they mention they have a dog. In that moment, you remember the dog's name, breed and collar/ harness color.

2. Mr. Bennett is not a person. He is a bloodhound.
a. The call of the bloodhound is and awesome sound. It reminds me of beginning band at Carr Lane.
b. I watched a bloodhound poop. It was hilariously awesome.


3. Everybody Knows Sumo. He is very beefy and very lean. When he runs, every muscle is visible under his skin. Don't let his massive size and gold menacing eyes fool you. He is a pushover.

*Notice Bear in the background of both those pictures. He spent most of the afternoon pacing the fence.

4. Fifteen year old dogs that have Parkinson's and suffered a stroke 2 weeks ago sill like to hump pretty lady dogs. Shep is all skin and bones. His person said she has push back his "put down" date three times because he just keeps getting better. Shep it trying to outlive us all.

5. While at the park, I asked the other dog parents of a good place to take Junior swimming. Everyone that chimed in recommended I take him to the boat launch at Ditto Landing. Turns out, that's where they launch boats into the river. "Oh just get him a life jacket and let him go. He's a lab, He'll love it." Considering I swim like a rock, it would be bad news if he drifted out too far. I would have to give the "Junior, We Hardly Knew Ye" speech. So I am on the lookout for a pool or lake to take Junior to. preferably a pool. I am not big on marine life.



Butts Up and Goodnight!



No comments:

Post a Comment