Saturday, March 10, 2012

My Remarkable Dog

This past Thursday would have been Bear-Handbanana's 5th birthday. Although it has been very hard without him, I have to keep moving forward. Shortly after his death, a witness to the event told Maurice exactly what happened. He then relayed that information to me. 


A Remarkable Dog
I live 2 blocks away from Hwy 72, a 4 lane divided highway. Junior and Bear-Hanbanana were seen standing in the middle of it. While trying to cross the street, most cars stopped and allowed Bear-Handbanana to move out of the street, but the Huntsville Utilities truck did not. He was hit. Junior ran out into the street, grabbed Bear's body and started bringing him home. He ended up leaving him a block from the house.  Junior did all he knew to help. I am so proud of him. He truly is a remarkable dog.



As of late Junior's acne has returned. The vet told me that it would return anytime he is under a lot of stress. I genuinely feel bad because he probably picked up the stressful vibes I have been sending out over the past month or so. He also has allergies! I'm hoping they are simply outdoor allergies but I have changed his food, just in case. Before I began giving him Benedryl three times a day, He chewed the skin off the tip of his tail, leaving a scab almost the size of a dime. When it gets wet, of if he is off his meds for more than three days and he chews it, he leaves bloody streaks up and down the hallway, on doors and door frames and on you if you're not careful.  Earlier today his chin and tip of his tail were both bleeding. I don't know what the exact opposite of awesome is, but I was surely feeling it today. 

Nothing else is really new with Junior. We have started feeding him foods we find comical to watch him eat. While eating grapes, Maurice threw a few to Junior. Unsure if it was food or a toy, he treated it as both.  



Sorry the video is sideways. My phone sometimes reorients the screen direction. Quite bothersome, to say the least. I have given him an orange. He did the same thing. i peeled the orange with a knife and left most of the pith on.  I sliced off one end so he could get some juice out and he played with it like a delicious tennis ball.









Junior did ruin a set of seedlings earlier this week. I set all the seedlings out on the porch to get some sunlight and he dumped out the watermelon and DEMOLISHED the basil, strawberries and lettuce.  I managed to salvage the watermelon plants and they are doing well. They are in the rear on the right. Rear left is the cucumber, front left is the cantaloupe and front right is the squash. in the pots up top are tomatoes and more basil. They have yet to sprout. I can't wait to have fresh fruits and veggies this summer. This minimal investment and a lot of hard work are gonna be quite delicious.  


No comments:

Post a Comment